OUR FOCUS: Age Discrimination
Defending Against Age Discrimination in the Workplace
Age discrimination in the workplace is illegal in the state of California under the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) and under the Federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA). California employees forty years of age and older are protected by age discrimination laws.
Ageism, which refers to negative discriminatory practices against older people, and this includes discrimination in the workplace based on a person being older. Age discrimination in the workplace is very common, however, sometimes is difficult to prove.
How to Prove Age Discrimination
Proof of age discrimination in the workplace is when you can show that the employee:
- Belongs to a protected class (over 40 years of age)
- Has been subjected to an adverse employment action such as a demotion, termination or suspension
- Can prove that other employees outside the protected class were treated more favorably under the same circumstances
Examples of Age Discrimination in the Workplace
If you are an employee who's 40 years of age (or older) and have been wrongfully terminated, demoted, or harassed at work due to your age, it is imperative you seek the advice of an expert age discrimination lawyer who can help you file an age discrimination claim.
Common examples of age discrimination in the workplace include:
- Older workers encouraged to retire.
- Company lay offs where only older employees were let go.
- Harassment such as name calling or making fun of your age.
- Not being offered a job because the employer wanted a younger person to fill the vacancy.
- Being fired because the employer wants to keep a younger staff.
- Being turned down for a promotion because the employer wanted someone younger looking.
- Receiving a negative job evaluation because the employer assumes you're too old for the job.
If you believe you are the victim of age discrimination in the workplace, we can help you. Speak with an age discrimination lawyer who specializes in getting results under California law before you file a complaint.
Every case is different, but recent clients of Remedy Law Group have been awarded these settlements after experiencing age discrimination in the workplace.
Employment Case Results
Our experienced California age discrimination lawyers have the knowledge and experience to get you results in all judicial forums because we have a full understanding of all state and federal laws that may affect your age discrimination in the workplace claim.
We are experts when it comes to California age discrimination laws. We will navigate the entire process from drafting your complaint, to filing it in the correct forum, to gathering evidence to support your age discrimination claim, to being by your side in court or at the arbitration table.